- Open Everyday! Monday – Saturday from 8am until 9pm and Sunday from 9am – 8pm
- Everyone can shop at Elm City Market, member or not.
- We are a member-owned cooperative grocery store.
- Parking is validated in the 360 State Street garage.
- We are affordable and accept SNAP and manufacturer coupons.
- We are easily accessible on foot and by bike, car, bus (all lines), or train (State Street Station).
- We are centrally located in downtown New Haven on Chapel Street between State and Orange – just one block from The Green.
- We have a large selection of healthy and affordable produce, meat and seafood, dairy, frozen foods, bulk foods, baked goods, cheese, deli, groceries, organic, natural and local foods, body care, vitamins and supplements and more!
- We have prepared foods and deli with salad bar, hot foods, baked goods and desserts. Eat in or grab & go!
- We employ approximately 100 people and offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a fun, rewarding work environment. Member-owners are not required to work, although there are opportunities to volunteer. View our Neutrality Policy here.
In late 2009, many New Haveners had to travel outside the city to purchase groceries; many other local residents, lacking the means to travel outside the city, went without key staples and affordable fresh healthy food.
New Haven is a food town to the core. Yet the city that invented the hamburger, perfected the pizza, and boasts the densest downtown in Connecticut had no full-service grocery store.
This problem brought together a group of property owners and concerned citizens. They worked tirelessly to develop an independent, member-owned grocery store to serve the unique needs of New Haven.
As a hybrid co-op that provides local, natural, organic, and conventional products and groceries, Elm City Market reflects the needs of the community in a way that no national chain could in order to provide the sustenance that New Haven needs now.
What’s in a name?
New Haven had the first public tree planting program in America, producing a canopy of mature trees (including some large elms) that gave New Haven the nickname “The Elm City.” Elm City Market is a local, member-owned, independent grocery store located in downtown New Haven.